Educational Curriculum Center
Do you need the “big picture” of what you want your students to know at the end of the semester or school year?
Curriculum bulletins will give you those answers. The Kraus Curriculum Development Library is a collection of curricula from all over the country. Most (1983–2000) are available in microfiche format, but with the 20th edition (2001) the curricula are available full-text online. If the curriculum is not available full-text, the document number of the fiche is provided and can be located in the ECC on the first floor of Rosenthal Library (Room 109B). Fiche reader/printers in the adjoining Media Center are available to take notes and photocopy.
All recent New York State materials can be accessed and downloaded.
Some New York City resources can also be accessed and downloaded.
How to get your students to that big goal at the end of the year?
Look at a Teacher's Edition from the 4th floor Textbook Collection. The big goals will be broken down by grades into thematic units and lesson plans. See the Textbook Subject List for call numbers.
Do you want your thematic unit or lesson plan to incorporate children's literature?
This 4th floor collection can support a broad range of projects. It is arranged like the public library, using the Dewey Decimal classification of subjects with solid sections of folklore, biographies, poetry, and non-fiction.
Here are some sites to help you make selections:
- The Children's Literature Comprehensive Database
- The Database of Award Winning Children's Literature
Ready to be a little more creative?
Many web sites offer lesson plans that allow you to design your own thematic unit. Here are a few to get you started:
Looking for some “props” to avoid becoming a “talking head” teacher?
No need to make or buy all your own materials. To browse a variety of resources:
- Go to the CUNY Catalog on the Library Homepage
- Click on Command Search.
- For teaching aids, type wcl=eta & click Search.
- For educational multimedia, type wcl=emed & click Search.
- For educational videos, type wcl=evid & click Search.
- For educational CDs, type wcl=ecd & click Search.
- For educational CD-ROMs, type wcl=ecdr & click Search.
Need to design a bulletin board to back up your thematic unit?
No need to cut up all your own magazines! Browse the oversized drawers in the ECC for a wide assortment of pictures that MAY be borrowed. The subjects covered can be seen here.
Pictures that can be downloaded are available from the following sites:
Surprise! These MAY be borrowed from the ECC. They are on the shelves to the left of the entrance. Many have additional activities & ideas that can be used in your thematic units.
The following databases have some full-text online magazines for children and young adults:
If the full text article omits pictures, check the CUNY Catalog to see if the ECC has a hard copy you may borrow.
Here are a few guides for popular curricular subject resources:
- Children's Literature Resources in Queens College Library
- Elementary Music Education Resources
- Elementary Social Studies Resources
- English & Language Arts Resources
- Mathematics Education Resources
- Science Education Resources
- Second Language Education Resources
For more information contact:
Prof. Suzanne Li