Summer 2017 Programs » New York International Music Festival and Competition
Celebrating 2nd Season
2017 New York International Music Festival and Competition
In residence at
The Aaron Copland School of Music, Queens College
David Schober, Director
Edward Smaldone, Associate Director
July 17 - 26, 2017
Venue: The Aaron Copland School of Music at Queens College, CUNY
Organizers: The Aaron Copland School of Music, Queens College
Beijing International Music Festival & Academy
New York International Cultural Exchange, Inc
In cooperation with the Aaron Copland School of Music (ACSM) at Queens College and Beijing International Music Festival & Academy (BIMFA), the second season of NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL MUSIC FESTIVAL & COMPETITION (NYIMF) is scheduled to take place from July 17 to 31 in the renowned Aaron Copland School of Music at Queens College in New York City. Open to Pianists, String and Selected Woodwind instrumentalistsof all nationalities, the festival brings together performing artists, pedagogues and music students from around the world in an international collaboration to promote music and cultural exchanges between the East and the West.
Artist-Faculty & Participants
The festival artist-faculty is comprised of celebrated international artists and pedagogues from prestigious music schools and conservatories around the world, including distinguished artist-faculty from the renowned Aaron Copland School of Music at Queens College.
The 2017 festival is open to pianists, string (violin, viola, cello) and selected woodwind players (flute and clarinet, etc.)of all nationalities, generally age 12-28, including college/graduate students, high/middle school and young professionals. Gifted and under-aged young musicians may also be considered with special permission. Participants are accepted after evaluation of their applications and audition materials. Festival also welcomes amateur adult musicians, auditors and special students (including gifted young musicians and youth groups, etc.) for the extraordinary experience of music and culture in New York metropolitan area.
It offers an intensive schedule, focusing on close student-faculty collaboration through individual ensemble studies, performance and competitions:
- 4 individual lessons and 1 master class included with renowned festival teachers
- Additional opportunities to participate in public Master Classes
- Coached chamber ensembles and groups
- Festival pass to observe all master classes, individual teaching and chamber music coaching
- Free admission to all concerts/performance by artist-faculty, acclaimed artists and festival participants
- Multiple opportunities for public performance including Gala Concerts, Young Artists' Concerts, Showcases for individuals and selected ensembles
- Competitions open to all instruments (Junior and Senior divisions) with prizes, award certificate and scholarship offerings
- All competition winners to be presented in the Gala Finale Concert in the famed LeFrak Concert Hall
It offers students special opportunities for public recognition and performance during and beyond the festival. All participants are welcome to enter the appropriate divisions of the competitions; and winner will receive cash prize, certificate, and award performance in the Gala Finale Concert in addition to future concert opportunities to represent the festival.
Senior Division (for age 17 and above as of July 17):
- 1st Prize: $1000 cash prize and award certificate; possible scholarship offering by The Copland School of Music and Beijing International Music Festival & Academy; future performance opportunities to represent the festival in the USA and China
- 2nd Prize: $500 cash prize and award certificate
- Honorable Mentions: award certificates
Junior Division (for age 16 and under as of July 17):
- 1st Prize: $500 cash prize and award certificate; possible scholarship offering to attend the Beijing International Music Festival & Academy in China; future performance opportunities to represent the festival in the USA and China
- 2nd Prize: $250 cash prize and award certificate
- Honorable Mentions: award certificates
Music & Cultural Excursions (optional)
Our cultural excursion programs offer participants multiple opportunities to experience and explore the music and cultural scenes of New York City and other major U.S. cities on the east coast. It is an unforgettable experience of a life time for those seeking to explore their fullest potentials in life.
- Attend a concert or opera in Lincoln Center/or Carnegie Hall
- Attend a Broadway Musical in Time Square (ex. An American in Paris, the Phantom of Opera, etc.)
- Visits to top music schools/conservatories including Juilliard, Manhattan School of Music, Mannes College of Music and others
- Visits to Statue of Liberty & World Trade Center memorial site
- Visit to State Empire Building/or Top of the Rock
- Visit to Met Museum/or MOMA
- Tours of major eastern U.S. cities - New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C. including world famous universities such as Yale, Harvard, MIT, Princeton Universities, and music schools/conservatories such as Juilliard, Manhattan and Mannes School, Peabody and New England Conservatoy, etc.
*NOTE: Music & Cultural Excursions are optional and require additional fees; site main entrance admission, local transportation, local tour guide and translators are all included in the excursion expenses.
Venue & Fees
The 2017 Festival will take place in residence at the Aaron Copland School of Music at Queens College in New York City. All participants will have the options to stay at the on-campus housing, equipped with air-conditioning, private bathroom and kitchen or to make own arrangement for room/board. As part of NYIMF, the all-inclusive "Music & Cultural Excursions" of New York City and other major cities on the east coast of United States are also offered to those who are interested with additional fees. Please contact by email (email@example.com) for complete details.
***Special Reduced Tuition applies to all music students of the Aaron Copland School of Music.
- Non-refundable application fees: $60 (by April 20); $100 (by May 15); $150 (by June 15)
- Tuition: $1400
- Room and Board (optional): $1200
- Music & Cultural Excursions (optional); please inquiry excursion details by email
Scholarship and financial aid assistance are available for all qualified applicants. Please inquiry details by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications must include the following:
- A completed application form
- Video/Audio audition material (Web-links/MP3/CD/DVD) consisting of free repertoire, minimum of 2 contrasting pieces/movements and approximately 10-15 minutes in length to determine applicant's placement and level of proficiency
- A letter of recommendation from your current teacher if you do not study regularly with a member of festival faculty
- A non-refundable application fee
For "2017 NYIMF application form" and further information, please inquire by e-mail at: email@example.com.
Ming Fong, Festival Founder & Director
Aaron Copland School of Music Artists' Committee
Morey Ritt Piano
Daniel Phillips Violin
Marcy Rosen Cello
Charles Neidich Clarinet
Maurice Peress Conducting
Proposed 2017 Faculty/Artists*
Irina Edelman Mannes College of Music Pre-College, New York, USA
Alexander Korsantia New England Conservatory of Music, Boston, USA
Jerome Lowenthal The Juilliard School, New York, USA
Victoria Mushkatkol Juilliard School Pre-College, New York, USA
Ursula Oppens Brooklyn College –CUNY, New York, USA
Donald Pirone Aaron Copland School of Music, New York, USA
Matti Raekallio, Juilliard School, New York, USA
Morey Ritt Aaron Copland School of Music, New York, USA
Marc Silverman Manhattan School of Music, New York, USA
Nelita True Eastman School of Music, Rochester, USA
Yang Shanshan Central Conservatory of Music, Beijing, CHINA
Yang Yunlin Shanghai Conservatory of Music, CHINA
Zhang Fang Renmin University of China, Beijing, CHINA
~ Other Piano Faculty/Artists to be announced ~
Lara Lev violin, Juilliard School, New York, USA
Cheng Yawei, violin, Renmin University of China, Beijing, CHINA
Sha Xiaocao violin, Shanghai University - School of Music, CHINA
Yuan Quan violin, Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, New York, USA
Brett Deubner viola, Aaron Copland School of Music, New York, USA
Sheng Li viola, Shanghai Conservatory of Music, CHINA
Chu Yibing cello, Central Conservatory of Music, Beijing, CHINA
Luo Weixi cello, Shanghai Conservatory of Music, CHINA
Wang Ying, cello, Renmin University of China, Beijing, CHINA
~ Other String Faculty/Artists to be announced ~
*List of participating artists and faculty subject to change without notice; please contact for the most updated list.
Summer 2017 Festivals and Workshops