Department of Political Science, Queens College
Students should take at least 31 credits in political science,
1. No fewer than three and no more than four
following introductory Courses: Political Science 100 American
Government and Politics; 101 Principles of Political Science; 102
Current Political Controversies; 103 Comparative Politics; 104
International Politics; and 105 Political Theory.
2. 15-18 elective credits (either five or six 200-level courses
depending on the number of 100-level courses taken)
a. Students who began taking courses at QC in
the Fall 2015 semester or
later are required
to take PSCI 200 as one of these
3. One 4-credit seminar (381W, 382W, 383W or 384W)
Most political science courses are 3 credits; therefore, you will
most likely need a total of ten courses in Political Science in
order to complete the major.
It is recommended that students take the introductory course in
each sub-field before taking the intermediate courses and
seminars. It is also recommended that students take PSCI 200
before enrolling for the seminar.
All 100-Level Political Science courses are Pathways and PLAS
Transfer students who plan to major in political science should
take a minimum of 18 credits in the department, regardless of the
number of political science credits earned at other institutions.
Declaring a Major in Political
By the upper sophomore year, political sicence majors
should have worked out a comprehensive course of study in
political science with their faculty advisor before registering
for more political science courses. To do this, all majors must
fill out a
Major Concentration Form
, have it approved by a Political
and submit the approved form to the department
Tracks in Political Science
The specialized tracks help
students select introductory and electove courses that correspond
to their interests in law and politics or international politics.
Students majoring in political science are not required to declare
International Politics Track Requirements
- 1. Comparative Politics (PSCI 103), International
Relations (PSCI 104), and one other 100-level
- 2. Four courses from Political Science 230-246, 250-269,
- 3. Political Science 383W or 384W
- 4. Two electives from other political science courses, one
or both of which may be internships.
The Law and
Politics Track Requirements
1. American Politics (PSCI 100) and two other
100-level political science courses
2. Four courses from Political Science 212, 213, 250, 270, 280-289
3. Political Science 381W, 382W, or 386W
4. Two electives from other political science courses, one or both
of which may be internships.