Adding More Pages and Linking
Them to the index.html Page
OK, now you should have an index.html page created.
Use WinSCP to upload index.html to your public_html
directory on qcpages.qc.cuny.edu
should use username
QC fauculty should use username qc\yourusername
You can check your page by using a web browser to
visit the following url:
(Remember to substitute your username. Remember also
that the web browser looks for the index.html file
even if it isn't in the path name.)
If everything is alright, you are ready to add more
pages and to link them to the index.html page.
- Launch Kompozer or Seamonkey Composer.
- Click File, New, Kompozer Page. Now save your
file. Click on File, then on Save As. Make sure that
"Save as type" is "HTML Files". Give your file a
name, e.g. page1.html, and then click the save
- Now you have a blank page named page1.html
- In order to keep a constant look on your site, it
sometimes helps to make a template. On this page you
might want to decide on the colors you want for the
links, background, and anything else you want to
appear on every page. Once you have added all of
this, save your page again. Remember to always use
"File" and then "Save As" to prevent saving your
file with the wrong name. Save your file as
page1.html. Now, save it as another name, you might
want to call it template.html You can use the
template.html as a blank page when you are making
new pages on your site.
- Now you have three pages: index.html, page1.html
- You can go ahead and close template.html. Click on
- Open up page1.html and add all of the text,
images, etc. that you want. Use File, then Save As
to save page1.html
- Now let's link our pages together.
- One page1.html type in Home.
- Use your mouse to highlight the word Home
- Click on the "Link" button in Komposer. You will
see a small chain link icon on the button.
- A small window will pop up. Since this is an
internal link, all you need to do is click on
"Choose File" and then select the index.html file in
your website folder and click OK. You should now see
your link underlined in blue. You have just made a
link from page1.html to the index.html page. Make
sure to save your file using File, then Save As.
- Now open up your index.html file. You are going
to place a link to page1.html and also an external
- Type in page1 on your index.html page. Use your
mouse to highlight page1. Now click on the Link
button. Click on choose file and find page1.html and
click ok. Make sure to save your file.
- Now let's add an external links. We are going to
add links to the google search engine.
- Type in Google. Use your mouse to highlight the
word google. Click on the Link button. Enter the
following in white box under "Link Location":
http://www.google.com and click OK.
- Now save the index.html
- At this point, you can upload your newly created
web pages to the server using WinSCP.
- The easiest way to upload your web pages is to
just upload the whole websites folder. Make sure you
also upload the images folder and all of your files.
If you don't upload one of the files, you will have
a "broken link".
- Now launch your web browser and visit your web
site. You should see links on your home page.