Ms. Prazuch and Mr. Cohen
|Unit Outlines||PowerPoints||Homework||Regents Review|
Gummi Bear Terminator:
The Exothermic Demise of the Gummi BearHeat
2 KClO3 -----------> 2KCl + 3O2
Gummi Bear Lesson Plan
Gummi Bear YouTube Video
demonstration gives an example of an extremely exothermic reaction. It is also an
example of a decomposition reaction that occurs rapidly when a catalyst (heat)
is used. In addition, it provides the opportunity to apply the glowing splint
test to test for the presence of oxygen. While watching the video, try to think about the following questions:
- What is a decomposition reaction?
- Discuss and balance the chemical equation for this
- How do we test for the presence of oxygen in a
- Why do we use a catalyst for some reactions? What are
some examples of a catalyst?
- What is the difference
between an exothermic and an endothermic reaction?
- Why do we use a Bunsen burner in this reaction?
- Why do we do the glowing
splint test before putting the Gummy Bear into the test tube?
- What caused the Gummy Bear to explode?
- Examine what the products