New: Homework 4
New: Homework 5
New: Homework 6 due 12/5
Office hours:, Tuesdays , and by appointment.
TA: Yikai Wang (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Location and Time:
Competency in calculus and linear algebra.
1. Econometrics by Fumio Hayashi,
2. Econometric Analysis by William H. Greene, 5th edition, Prentice Hall.
Homework Assignments 20%
Midterm Exam 40%
Final Exam 40%
1) There will be between 5 and 8 homework assignments throughout the semester. These will be handed out in class and answers will normally be due in class one week later. Late answers cannot be accepted.
2) Collaboration in homework assignments is encouraged but for your own good please work out the details by yourself.
The midterm exam is tentatively scheduled for
Tentative Course Outline: (G=Greene; H: Hayashi)
1. Introduction and Review (G: Appendix A-B)
2. Linear Statistical Models
a. Least Squares Algebra (G: 2.1-2.2; H: 1.1)
b. Classical Assumptions (G: 2.3; H: 1.1)
c. Estimation and Inference (G: 3.2-3.5, 7.2; H: 1.2, 1.4)
d. Finite Sample Properties (G: 4.3-4.8; H: 1.3)
e. Large Sample Properties (G: 5.1-5.2; H: 2.1-2.4)
f. Dummy Variables (G: 7.2)
g. Multicollinearity (G: 4.9)
3. Maximum Likelihood Estimation (G: 17.1-17.5 H: 1.5)
4. Heteroskedasticy, Autocorrelation and GLS (G: 10.1-10.3, 11.1-11.2, 11.4, 11.5, 12.1-12.5; H: 1.6, 2.5-2.8, 2.10)
5. Errors in Variables, Instrumental Variables and Specification Tests (G: 5.4-5.6)
6. Generalized Method of Moments (GMM) (G: 18; H: 3.1-3.8)
7. System of Equations