Summer 2018 Programs » Baroque Opera Workshop
Institute for 17th Century Music at Queens College
Baroque Opera Workshop
for singers, continuo players, & string players
June 17 - 23, 2018
Christa Patton – Co-Director
David Ronis – Co-Director
Julianne Baird – Baroque Vocal Style
Nell Snaidas – Stage Director
Dongmyung Ahn – Baroque String Technique and Repertoire
Edoardo Bellotti – Harpsichord
Mara Galassi - Baroque Harp Technique
Deborah Fox – Baroque Guitar, Theorbo
Baroque Opera Workshop at Queens College
The Institute for 17th Century Music at Queens College will offer a one-week, intensive training program in Baroque opera. This year we are very excited to include the following special offerings:
- Julianne Baird, Internationally acclaimed soloist and musicologist, will offer her treasure of research in Baroque vocal ornamentation and vocal style based on 16th and 17th century sources.
- Nell Snaidas, hailed by the critics for her ability to inhabit the characters in the music she performs, brings a unique approach to directing and acting in which Baroque gesture connects deeply to the actor, transcending choreographed movement, and becoming part of his or her own physicality.
- Mara Galassi and Edoardo Bellotti, pioneers of the Early Music revival in Italy, now internationally acclaimed soloists and innovative thinkers in Historical Performance Practice, will hold a masterclass for singers and continuo players focusing on the theatrical works of the Italian 17th century’s most iconic composer, Claudio Monteverdi.
- Daily masterclasses and coachings in ornamentation and Baroque style based on 16th and 17th century sources, with Julianne Baird
- Daily classes in Baroque gesture with Nell Snaidas and theatre craft for opera singers with David Ronis
For String players:
- Study of Baroque repertoire and period ornamentation with Dongmyung Ahn, Baroque violin and Lisa Terry, viola da gamba and Baroque cello
For Continuo Players:
- Improvisation in accompaniment based on 16th and 17th century sources with Edoardo Bellotti, Baroque keyboard, Mara Galassi, Baroque harp, Deborah Fox, theorbo and Baroque guitar.
- Singers and full continuo will participate in daily music rehearsals with Christa Patton
Strings and continuo instruments $595*
Auditors: $60 per day
On-campus housing: $55 per night
ATTN: Deadline for singers extended to April 12, 2018
For instrumentalists - May 31, 2018
The Baroque Opera Workshop at Queens College uses the YAP Tracker application process for our program.The application can be found here:
You do not need to be a paying subscriber to YAP Tracker to use the application form, although you will need an account (guest accounts are available; see the website for details). Registration can be completed at http://www.yaptracker.com.
For further information, email: email@example.com.
Aaron Copland School of Music
Queens College – CUNY
65-30 Kissena Blvd.
Flushing, NY 11367
Summer 2018 Festivals and Workshops
More workshops to be announced.