Summer 2020 Programs » Baroque Opera Workshop
We regret to inform you that the Baroque Opera Workshop at Queens College will be postponed to next summer 2021 due to public health considerations brought about by COVID-19. Watch this page for more information regarding dates and offerings this coming Fall 2020.
Accommodations | Events | Gallery | Goodeats | Testimonials
Institute for 17th Century Music at Queens College
Baroque Opera Workshop
for singers, continuo players, & string players
June 14 - 20, 2020
Christa Patton – Director
Julianne Baird – Baroque Vocal Style
Damon Bonetti – Stage Director
Dongmyung Ahn – Baroque String Technique and Repertoire
Deborah Fox – Baroque Guitar, Theorbo
Gwendolyn Toth – Early Keyboards
Baroque Opera Workshop at Queens College
The Institute for 17th Century Music at Queens College will offer a one-week, intensive training program in Baroque opera. This year we are very excited to include the following special offerings:
- Julianne Baird, Internationally acclaimed soloist and musicologist, will offer her treasure of research in Baroque vocal ornamentation and vocal style based on 16th and 17th century sources.
- Damon Bonetti, Director of Hedgerow Theatre Company, Professor of Theatre Arts at Rutgers University.
- Daily masterclasses and coachings in ornamentation and Baroque style based on 16th and 17th century sources, with Julianne Baird.
- Daily classes in Baroque gesture with Dorothy Olsen and theatre craft for opera singers with Damon Bonetti.
For String Players:
- Study of Baroque repertoire and period ornamentation with Dongmyung Ahn, Baroque violin and Lisa Terry, viola da gamba and Baroque cello.
For Continuo Players:
- Improvisation in accompaniment based on 16th and 17th century sources with Gwen Toth, Baroque keyboard, Christa Patton, Baroque harp, Deborah Fox, theorbo and Baroque guitar.
- Singers and full continuo will participate in daily music rehearsals with musical director, Christa Patton.
Strings and continuo instruments $595
Auditors: $60 per day
On-campus housing: $70 per night
Deadline for Singers – April 3, 2020
Deadline for instrumentalists - May 31, 2020
The Baroque Opera Workshop at Queens College uses the YAP Tracker application process for our program. The application can be found here:
You do not need to be a paying subscriber to YAP Tracker to use the application form, although you will need an account (guest accounts are available; see the website for details). Registration can be completed at http://www.yaptracker.com.
For further information, email: email@example.com.
Aaron Copland School of Music
Queens College – CUNY
65-30 Kissena Blvd.
Flushing, NY 11367
Summer 2020 Festivals and Workshops
Baroque Opera Workshop