Queens College Jazz Studies Program
- Apply to Queens College: http://tinyurl.com/ont8wys
- Audition Pre-Screening: Send a minimum of 3 videos of yourself performing (one tune per video). Play 2 standards at least, one original is allowed. These videos should demonstrate your ability to play in a jazz style with rhythm section. Each tune should include improvising over chord changes.
Please send the links to: Hila.Kulik@qc.cuny.edu.
- Live audition:
If you pass the Pre-Screening you will be invited to a live audition. For your live audition, prepare 3 tunes: one ballad, one med up rhythm changes and a third tune of your choice. In addition, you are responsible for knowing some commonly played jazz standards (scroll down for our recommended list). You may be asked to play any of these songs by memory.
- Pianists and guitarists should prepared the ballad as a solo piece.
- Bassists should be prepared to play the melody of their songs as well as create basslines and solos in a variety of styles over chord changes.
- Drummers should be prepared to play swing and a variety of Latin and funk styles, trade fours, solo over forms or vamps and work within a jazz rhythm section.
- Singers be prepared to sing 3 tunes (A ballad, a swing tune and another of your choice). Bring charts in your key for the rhythm section. You will be asked to improvise over changes.
- For all applicants: Sight reading will be a required part of the audition.
- A rhythm section will be provided for you to play with at the audition.
- After you audition on your instrument you will be given a short theory test.
- Students who are unable to attend Queens College for the audition can request a Skype audition. However, in person auditions are preferred and may be prioritized over students who only audition via the internet.
All applicants will be asked to pay a $20 audition processing fee on the day of their live audition.
|Jazz Standards All Instruments||Jazz Standards for Singers|
|1) Cherokee||1) Lullaby of Birdland|
|2) Confirmation||2) How high the moon|
|3) Four||3) God bless the child|
|4) The song is you||4) Misty|
|5) I'll remember April||5) The nearness of you|
|6) Stablemates||6) Autumn leaves|
|7) There is no greater love||7) But not for me|
|8) You and the night and the music||8) You and the night and the music|
|9) Invitation||9) Just one of those things|
|10 ) Green Dolphin street||10) Skylark|
|11) Anthropology||11) I thought about you|
|12) All the things you are||12) I'll be seeing you|
|13) Alone together||13) Bye Bye blackbird|
|14) It could happen to you||14) Body and Soul|
|15) Along came Betty||15) It could happen to you|
|16) Start eyes||16) Like someone in love|
|17) You stepped out of a dream||17) My funny Valentine|
|18) Old Milestones||18) Every day I have the blues|
|19) Prelude to a kiss||19) All of me|
|20) I can't get started||20) You go to my head|
|21) Old Folks||21) Lover man|
|22) Body and Soul||22) One Charlie Parker blues Melody|
|23) Misty||23) One Charlie Parker Rhythm changes|
|24) Black Orpheus||24) One traditional blues (such as "Every day I have the blues")|