Queens College Jazz Studies Program
- Apply to Queens College: http://tinyurl.com/ont8wys
- Audition Prescreening: Provide three (3) videos of yourself performing (one composition per video). Three standards are preferred, but we will accept one original composition if you choose. These videos should demonstrate your ability to play in a jazz style with a rhythm section. Each tune should demonstrate your ability to improvise over chord structures. Please submit the links to the videos on the Acceptd platform.
- Live audition: If you pass the Prescreening you will be invited to a live audition. For your live audition, prepare three compositions: one ballad, one medium tempo composition, and one up tempos example of rhythm changes. In addition, you are responsible for knowing some commonly played jazz standards (scroll down for our recommended list). You may be asked to play any of these songs from memory.
- Pianists and guitarists should prepare the ballad as a solo piece.
- Bassists should be prepared to play the melody of their songs as well as create basslines and solos in a variety of styles over chord changes.
- Drummers should be prepared to play over traditional jazz forms as well as have a familiarity with world rhythms.
- Singers should be prepared to sing three compositions (One ballad, one medium swing composition, and another song in any style of your choice). Bring charts in your key for the rhythm section. You will be asked to improvise over changes.
- For all applicants: Sight reading will be a required part of the audition.
- A rhythm section will be provided for you to play with at the audition.
- After you audition on your instrument you will be given a short theory test.
- Students who are unable to attend Queens College for the audition can request a Skype audition. However, in person auditions are preferred and may be prioritized over students who only audition via the internet.
|Jazz Standards All Instruments||Jazz Standards for Singers|
|1) Cherokee||1) Lullaby of Birdland|
|2) Confirmation||2) How high the moon|
|3) Four||3) God bless the child|
|4) The song is you||4) Misty|
|5) I'll remember April||5) The nearness of you|
|6) Stablemates||6) Autumn leaves|
|7) There is no greater love||7) But not for me|
|8) You and the night and the music||8) You and the night and the music|
|9) Invitation||9) Just one of those things|
|10 ) Green Dolphin street||10) Skylark|
|11) Anthropology||11) I thought about you|
|12) All the things you are||12) I'll be seeing you|
|13) Alone together||13) Bye Bye blackbird|
|14) It could happen to you||14) Body and Soul|
|15) Along came Betty||15) It could happen to you|
|16) Start eyes||16) Like someone in love|
|17) You stepped out of a dream||17) My funny Valentine|
|18) Old Milestones||18) Every day I have the blues|
|19) Prelude to a kiss||19) All of me|
|20) I can't get started||20) You go to my head|
|21) Old Folks||21) Lover man|
|22) Body and Soul||22) One Charlie Parker blues Melody|
|23) Misty||23) One Charlie Parker Rhythm changes|
|24) Black Orpheus||24) One traditional blues (such as "Every day I have the blues")|